Shanghai Masters 2014
September 15, 2014 14:07
38-Year-Old Stuart Bingham won five straight frames in the second session of the Shanghai Masters final on Sunday to defeat Mark Allen 10-3 in a very comfortable victory that saw the Englishman earn an £85,000 winners cheque.
It was his second career ranking title after having previously lifted the Australian Goldfield’s Open in 2011 and has helped further cement his position inside the elite top 16. Allen on the other hand wasn’t able to reproduce the good form he showed coming into the final and especially with his win over Mark Selby in the semi-finals on Saturday, but for his troubles, and of course a much improved showing, the Northern Irishman picked up the second prize of £35,000.
To reach the final Bingham defeated the home favourite and defending champion Ding Junhui will certainly give him some increased confidence moving forward in the season.
It was a very interesting tournament all round really and is evidence that the change of seedings and more open tournament formats are able to benefit some of the slightly lower ranked players. Ronnie O’Sullivan, John Higgins, Judd Trump and Neil Robertson were all eliminated in the first round in Shanghai, as was 5th seed Barry Hawkins.
This was followed up by defeats for both Shaun Murphy and Stephen Maguire (recent winner at the 6-red World Championships) in the second round.
Into the quarter-finals though and the four highest remaining seeded players actually progressed to the semi-finals which ended good runs from Micheal White, Alan McManus, Graeme Dott and Fergal O’Brien.
There is a bit of a break this week in the calendar as the scheduled Indian Open qualifiers have been postponed so players will be back in competitive action from the 22nd-25th September as they head to Barnsley Metrodome for the International Championship qualifiers before the 3rd European Tour events at the beginning of October.
Results (Last 16 onwards)
- Ding Junhui (5) v (3) Martin Gould
- Graeme Dott (50 v (3) Shaun Murphy
- Stuart Bingham (5) v (1) Dominic Dale
- Alan McManus (5) v (1) Stephen Maguire
- Michael White (5) v (2) Ryan Day
- Mark Allen (5) v (1) Mark Williams
- Fergal O’Brien (5) v (3) Zhao Xintong [am.]
- Mark Selby (5) v (3) Michael Holt
- Ding Junhui (5) v (2) Graeme Dott
- Stuart Bingham (5) v (1) Alan McManus
- Mark Allen (5) v (4) Michael White
- Mark Selby (5) v (0) Fergal O’Brien
- Stuart Bingham (6) v (4) Ding Junhui
- Mark Allen (6) v (5) Mark Selby
- Stuart Bingham (10) v (3) Mark Allen